A great family baking activity is making bunny ears! This recipe helps children be creative and enjoy time with grown ups in the kitchen. Try and think of other shapes you can make with the dough as you discuss this recipe.Remember, measuring ingredients correctly is important, and in order to measure the right way you need the right tools. Here are guidelines to use for your equipment:
Look at our Family Fun Guidelines for information on how to make this an age-appropriate family fun activity for your children!
When you start to bake, make sure you read your recipe thoroughly and gather the materials and ingredients you will need ahead of time. Keep the unused ingredients to the left side of your workspace and move them to the right after use. The right workflow will help make mixing easier. Also, keep a sink of warm soapy water ready for used dishes and utensils. This helps make clean up a snap!
Bunny Ears Recipe
- Large mixing bowl
- Dry and liquid measuring cups
- Mixing spoon
- Measuring spoons
- Ingredients (flour, butter, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon)
- Microwave (optional)
- Pastry brush
- Baking sheet
- hand sifter
- 4 tablespoons
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- confectioners' sugar (for dusting afterward)
Take one step at a time, finish each step and double check to make sure nothing was left out.
- Read the recipe top to bottom first-adults and children together. Explain to children all steps and methods in advance. Discuss and answer any questions.
- Have all the ingredients and utensils out and ready to go. Let children help prepare.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place butter in glass dish. Cover and melt in microwave for 1 minute on low heat. You can use a saucepan on the stovetop over low heat. Be careful not to burn or brown the butter.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix by hand.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of the butter and milk. Mix until you have a smooth dough.
- Lightly dust countertop or board with flour. Pat dough into rectangle.
- Brush surface of dough with remaining butter.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon in the bowl; sprinkle on rectangle.
- Roll up the rectangle tightly; pinch along the seam to seal.
- Cut the roll into four even pieces; place on baking sheet cut side down.
- Flatten each piece with your hand and shape into bunny ears, with one pointed end and one flat end.
- Place baking sheet in oven so it is not touching oven sides or another pan. Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Keep dry oven mitts close by and a wire cooling rack ready for the pan to cool on. Let an older child or adult remove the finished Bunny Ears and place on serving plate
- dust generously with confectioners' sugar and enjoy!