Hearty Miso Vegetable Soup
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 chicken breast, skinless, boneless and sliced very thin
- 7 oz Pre baked tofu (any flavor), cubed
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup miso, white or brown, to taste
- 2 cups cabbage, grated
- 1/2 cup carrots, grated
- 1/2 cup snow peas or sugar snap peas, diced
Bring the stock and water to a low boil.
If using chicken, add for about 3 minutes, along with the ginger, then whisk in the miso and add the vegetables . If using the tofu, stir or whisk in the miso and add all remaining ingredients.
In both cases, once the vegetables and miso are added, reduce the heat to a very low simmer for about 2-5 minutes, checking the vegetables for doneness to your liking-they should be slightly cooked yet still maintain a measure of crispness, with bright color.
Will keep refrigerated for several days.
Recipe by Mani Niall - Mix it up with Mani
Seek out white or light brown miso for this soup, usually stored refrigerated. Available in natural foods stores, Asian markets and many supermarkets. Miso will keep indefinitely in your refrigerator.