Buttermilk Multi-Grain Pancake and Waffle Mix
- 8 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup corn starch
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1/3 cup malt powder, optional *
- 2 cups buttermilk powder *
- 5 tablespoons Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups white or brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- * Both malt powder and buttermilk powder are usually available at health food or bulk food stores. Malt powder is also available at most bagel shops. If you cannot find these things, use skim milk powder and leave out the malt and the pancakes will still be delicious!
In a large bowl, whisk all ingredients together using a wire whisk. Divide into 3-4 containers or put 3-4 cups in 1 quart mason jars for a gift. Makes a total of 5 pounds or 2.2 kilos of dry mix.
To make pancakes, use:
1 cup (250 mL) pancake mix
1/2 cup (125 mL) water
1 teaspoon (5 mL) pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons (30 mL) canola oil or unsalted melted butter
You can also add small chunks of apples, bananas, or use blueberries.
Mix all ingredients together gently with a spoon or fork. Prepare as usual, using a bit of butter or canola oil in a cast iron skillet or use a nonstick pan.
5 Lbs Dry Mix
6-8 medium pancakes
by: Marcy Goldman - Marcy's Kosher Cuisine
This gourmet mix you whip up at home is great for lazy weekends or make up a batch the night before for a special weekday breakfast. All the good grains are packed in here - but the taste is bed-and-breakfast delicious!