Pennant Race Corn Dogs
- 10 kosher frankfurters
- 10 wooden skewers
- 2/3 cup stone ground corn meal
- 1/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons corn flour(optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- good pinch white pepper or cayenne
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup seltzer or plain water (adjust as required)
- Flour for dusting
- Oil for frying
- Ballpark mustard (or whatever you like) for dipping
Mix all ingredients for batter with a whisk in large bowl. Insert skewers in franks and dust with flour. Roll or dip into batter.
Heat oil in a large wok or cast iron skillet to about 375 F. Fry a couple of corn dogs at a time until they are lightly browned. Drain on paper towels.