Old Fashioned Pumpkin Bread
Makes two9 by 5 loaf pans
- 1 1/2 cups of pumpkin puree
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade, optional
- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely minced
- zest of one orange, optional
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins, plumped and drained
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, plumped and drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously grease 2 9 by 5 inch loaf pans. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, blend the sugar, marmalade, oil, eggs, pumpkin, vanilla and lemon and orange zest. In another bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Mix into wet batter, stirring gently but thoroughly. Add raisins, cranberries, and nuts.
Scoop batter into prepared loaf pans. Bake until loaves test done, a cake tester inserted into the center will come out almost clean, about 40 to 45 minutes for larger loaves, 25 to 35 minutes for mini loaves. Cool 10 to 15 minutes before unmolding and serving.
Serve one as pumpkin bread. Use the other for Pumpkin Bread Pudding.
Makes two: One for slicing and munching (or a gift) and one for Pumpkin Bread Pudding.