Maraschino Coconut Cake
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups sifted cake flour
3 teaspoons Rumford Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup maraschino cherry juice and water, mixed
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped nuts
18 maraschino cherries cut fine
4 egg whites
1. Cream shortening, add 1 cup sugar gradually, creaming until light and fluffy.
2. Sift 2 1/2 cups flour, Rumford Baking Powder and salt together and add to first mixture alternately with cherry juice.
3. Mix coconut, nuts and cherries with remaining 1/2 cup flour and fold in.
4. Add 1/2 cup sugar to stiffly beaten egg whites and fold into cake batter.
5. Pour into greased loaf pan (9" x 9" x 2) and bake in a moderate oven (350° F) one hour or use two 8-inch layer pans and bake at 375° F for 25 minutes.
6. When cool, frost with Fluffy Frosting, and border with coconut.