Blitz Apple Cake
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can apple pie pie filling (about 19 ounce)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 10 inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. You can also use a 9 by 13 inch cake pan. Place pan on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- In a mixer or food processor, blend the oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, orange juice, vanilla and blend well. Fold in dry ingredients to make a soft batter. Spread 2/3 of the batter in the pan. Place dollops of the pie filling all around, taking care not to congest it in any one place. Top with dollops of remaining batter (it will not be even - this is fine)
- Bake until done, about 50-70 minutes and cake is lightly browned on top.
Dust with confectioners' sugar.
A little shortcake to a great snacking apple cake for the New Year. Blitz cakes are old school Jewish baking but their speed, (blitz means lightening) and their great taste makes them welcome in the new millennium, no problem.