Secret Lemon Poppyseed Cupcakes
3 1/2 cups cake flour
2 teaspoons Clabber Girl Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon zest
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 1/2 pints fresh or frozen raspberries
Optional Lemon Lovers Glaze:
3 tablespoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons sugar
12 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
2-4 tablespoons cream, if necessary
Poppy seeds for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line 2 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- Sift together the flour, Clabber Girl Baking Powder and salt. Cream the butter and sugar well. Add the eggs one at a time. Add the flour mixture in three parts, alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour. Stop and scrape the bowl and beaters as necessary to ensure even mixing. Stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice and poppy seeds.
- Divide the batter evenly in the lined muffin tins. Gently push 3 or 4 raspberries into the center of the batter, with your fingers or a spoon, and smooth the batter over the berries.
- Bake for about 22 - 25 minutes, depending on the size of the muffin tin. The cupcakes should spring back when pressed gently with your finger.
- For lemon lovers glaze, after cooling for about 10 minutes, gently poke a fork over the surface of each cupcake and brush with the glaze then cool completely.
- For the frosting, using a stand mixer or hand held beaters, whip the softened cream cheese till smooth, add the powdered sugar and lemon extract till smooth and creamy. If the frosting is too stiff, add a few tablespoons of cream to make it more spreadable. Sprinkle with poppy seeds for decoration.
The secret to these cupcakes-- raspberries baked inside! Both the cake and frosting are tart, sweet and lemony. The burst of color and tartness from the raspberry is welcome and delicious. But if I named them Lemon Raspberry Cupcakes, there wouldn't be any surprise.