Honey and Apple Granola Bars
Makes 12 squares. Best stored individually wrapped in waxed paper and frozen.
- 1/2 cup canola oil or unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups granola or rolled oats
- 1/2cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup coconut, shredded sweetened
- 1/2 cup chopped dates
- 1/2cup chopped dried cherries
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest ,finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped unskinned almonds
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9 by 9 inch square pan, or preferably, a 7 by 11 inch brownie pan with parchment paper. Leave some overhang.
In a large bowl, stir together the oil or butter, and honey Blend in the granola or rolled oatmeal, almonds, walnuts, coconut, dates, cherries, raisins, cinnamon, lemon zest, salt, flour, sesame seeds and almonds. If mixture does not hold together in a weird sticky way, stir in a touch more oil and add an egg. Spoon into prepared pan. Place pan on a baking sheet.
Bake on lower rack of oven - 18-22 minutes - until top seems set. Refrigerate about one hour before cutting into squares. Turn out onto a board and cut with a sharp knife.
A charming little bar, with some old-world fruit, perfect for a pre-New Year’s sweet snack.