Yeasted Apple Rugulah
Makes 48 or so
- 1/4cup water
- 3 1/2 teaspoons rapid rise yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1 yolk
- 2/3 cup warm milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened in small pieces
- 4-5 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, diced small
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 can apple pie filling
- 2 cups raisins, plumped and dried
- Egg Wash
- 3-4 eggs
- Baker’s Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- For the dough, in a mixer bowl hand whisk the water and yeast and let stand 2-3 minutes. Then whisk in the eggs, milk, vanilla, sugar, and salt and mix well, then fold in the softened butter and 3-4 cups of the flour. Mix dough into a mass
- and then let rest 12 minutes. Resume kneading, dusting adding in more flour as
- required, 10 to 12 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a well greased bowl and place entire bowl in a plastic bag
- and seal. Allow to rise until puffy, about 45-90 minutes.
- For Cinnamon Filling, toss sugar and cinnamon together. Have butter ready.
- For Egg Wash, whisk ingredients together in a small bowl.
- For the baker’s syrup, simmer sugar and water 5 minutes, cool and reserve.
- Gently deflate the dough and divide into 6 portions. Cover with a tea towel and let rest ten minutes.
Line a few large baking sheets with parchment paper, reserving double-upped baking sheet for pastries that will be baked on the bottom most rack.
On a lightly floured board, roll dough portion into a 10-12 inch circle, about 1/8 inch thick or less – very thin. Spread on one-sixth of the cinnamon sugar, then some dots of butter, some apple pie filling and some raisins.
Using a pizza wheel or sharp knife, cut the circle into 8 wedges.
Roll up snugly into crescents. Repeat with all dough portions.
Place on baking sheet and brush with egg wash. Do not let rise much – only as oven preheats (and bake batches as you prepare the rest of the dough)
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Bake until nicely golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with Baker’s Syrup. Repeat with all dough.
These are very New York bakery styled. They are tiny puffs, of Danish like dough that encases apple pie filling, raisins and cinnamon.