Italian Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 pounds Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 pound Hot Italian Sausage
- 2 Red Bell Peppers (medium diced)
- 1 Large Red Onion (julienne)
- 2 ribs Celery (small diced)
- 2 Carrots (small diced)
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 3 quarts Chicken Stock
- 2 cups Half &Half
- 1 cup Sherry
- 1 cup Chopped Fresh Italian Parsley
- 3 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 1/2 ounce Fresh Basil Leaves (rough chopped)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 10 dashes Tabasco Sauce
- Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 1/2 cup Cold Water with 2 tsp. Clabber Girl Cornstarch
Gather and prep all of the ingredients. In a large soup kettle brown the sausage in a small amount of olive oil. Dust the browned sausage with the flour and turn down to a medium heat. Add all of the vegetables and stir. Add the sherry and stir constantly. It will thicken and start to grab on the bottom of the pan.
Add 1 quart of the chicken stock and stir. This will help release everything and will allow the soup to start to simmer. Slightly mash the squash pulp and add to the simmering soup. Add the bay leaves, chopped parsley and thyme.
Let simmer covered for about ten minutes and then add remaining chicken stock; bring to a low boil. Add Tabasco and black pepper and continue to boil.
In a small bowl add approximately 1 cup of the boiling broth from the soup to the half ½ this will temper half & half and keep it from breaking
Add the tempered half & half to the soup and turn down to a simmer.
Combine the cold water and the Clabber Girl Cornstarch to make a slurry and add this to the soup. Finish with the chopped basil.