Dried Sour Cherry Crumb Cake
- Crumb Topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup dried sour cherries, well plumped in boiling water, dried and finely diced
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Zest of one orange, finely minced
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Rumford Baking Powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Finishing Touches:
- 1/4 cup, slivered almonds
- Confectioners' sugar
Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously spray a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
In a small bowl, rub flour, sugar and butter together to make a crumbly streusel topping. Set aside. Prepare the cherries and set aside.
In a mixer bowl, cream the butter, sugar and orange zest until you have a fluffy, well-blended mixture. Blend in the egg, vanilla, almond extract, sour cream and whipping cream. Fold in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and blend to make a smooth batter. Fold in the cherries gently, by hand.
Spoon the batter in the pan and top with the crumble topping and scatter on almonds.
Bake until cake is gently browned around the edges, 55-60 minutes.
A moist quick bread cake with an almond studded crumb topping and the perk of dried sour cherries throughout. For a non-dairy cake, (for a BBQ supper) you can choose the Plain But Good Yellow Cake.