Sweet Pumpkin Spice and Pecan Cake
Makes one large Bundt cake or two small loaf cakes
- 2 cups pumpkin puree or mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup apricot jam or orange marmalade
- 1 1/2 cups corn or canola oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Rumford Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 each nutmeg, cloves or 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup finely chopped, toasted pecans
- 1 cup currants, plumped and drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cranberries
Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously grease 3 small loaf pans (8-by-4 inch) or 2 9 by 5 inch loaf pans or a 12 cup. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, blend the sugar, jam or marmalade, oil, eggs, pumpkin, orange juice and vanilla. In another bowl, stir together dry ingredients. Mix into wet batter, stirring gently but thoroughly. Add in the currants, cranberries, and pecans.
Scoop batter into prepared loaf pans. Bake until loaves test done, a cake tester inserted into the center will come out almost clean, about 45-55 minutes, depending on size of loaf. Cool 10 to 15 minutes before unmolding and serving.
This is a great snacking loaf or hospitality gift bread.