Sweet and Sour North Country Coleslaw
- 6 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 3-4 assorted apples with peels, cored and chopped or sliced in small slices (red, green and yellow skins for color)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Zest of one medium orange, finely minced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 cup lite cream
- 1/2 cup lite mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (kosher is available or use kosher maple table syrup)
- salt, touch of white pepper, to taste
Place the cabbage and other ingredients in a bowl and toss slightly.
Add the dressing ingredients to this and toss well to coat cabbage and apples and other ingredients.
Chill at least 3 hours. Keeps 3-4 days.
I love this calico hued, perky, sweet and sour coleslaw. It brightens a January day and is wonderful with toted-home BBQ chicken or poached salmon. You can use lite sour cream and mayonnaise.