Paradise Multi Grain Salad
- 1 quart water
- 1/2 cup wild rice, well rinsed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- Pinch sugar
- 1 tablespoon each fresh, minced parsley, basil, coriander
- 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (one red, one yellow, if possible)
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 1 cup black beans, cooked
- 1 sweet yellow pepper, minced
Instructions:In 2-quart saucepan, heat water to boiling. Add rice and salt. Return to boiling; cover, cook on low heat 15 minutes. Add millet, cover, and cook 10 minutes. Add bulgur; cover, cook 6 to 8 minutes longer or until rice is tender. If all moisture has not been absorbed, drain well.
Prepare dressing: In medium bowl, stir together onions, garlic, oil, lemon juice, sugar, parsley, coriander, basil, pepper. Remove 1/2 cup of dressing; cover and refrigerate. Stir grains into remaining dressing; add in tomatoes, corn, beans and yellow pepper. Cover and refrigerate until well chilled.
Just before serving, toss on reserved dressing.
Healthy and tasty, easy going, complex carbs. An easy way to cook rice, or any grains, is a rice cooker. Some of the best ones, including a cute little number called the Rizo, come from www.Zojirushi.com. I use it to make old-fashioned Irish Oatmeal, speaking of complex carbs.