Cream Cheese and Smoked Salmon (Lox) Cheesecake
Serves 16-24 - depending on portions
- 1 1/2 cups fine bagel chip crumbs (bagel thins, ground up)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 pounds cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 pound dry cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely minced
- 1/3 cup very finely minced red onions
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 3 cups shredded mild white cheddar
- 1/2 cup finely minced smoked salmon or lox or 4 ounces prepared lox spread
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Instructions:Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray a 9-inch spring form pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place all the crust ingredients in the pan and toss with a fork to combine. Press crumbs into pan. Bake to toast crumbs, 15 minutes.
For the cheesecake filling, in a mixer bowl, cream the cream cheese, cottage cheese, with the salt, pepper, mustard, parsley, chives and red onions. Then add in the eggs, cream and blend well and then fold in the cheese and flour. Scrape bowl sides and bottom to combine evenly. Fold in lox bits or gently swirl in lox spread.
Spoon into prepared pan. Bake until just set, 35-50 minutes. Chill overnight before unmolding and serving. Serve in thin wedges with bagels or French bread slices.
Comments:A savoury cheesecake that uses lox in bits or lox spread, swirled through, for a delightful showstopper brunch main dish. Serve chilled, with bagels.