Passover Chocolate Strawberry Macaroon Fudge Bars
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter or Passover margarine
- 1 1/4 cup sugar (white, brown or both)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup matzoh cake meal
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped commercial Passover macaroons - lightly packed (any brand, any flavour) or homemade
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
Instructions:Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease an 8-by-10 or 7-by-10 inch rectangular baking pan.
Melt chocolate with butter (double boiler or microwave). Cool to room temperature. Stir in sugar, eggs, cake meal, potato starch and salt. Fold in macaroon pieces. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Add dollops of strawberry jam and swirl a little bit, through the batter. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes (or until top seems set and is beginning to take on a cracked appearance). Do not overbake. Bars should seem set and dry to the touch but not yet have formed a dry crust around the sides.
Cool well or refrigerate an hour or two before serving.
Dust with cocoa.
Makes 2-3 dozen bars or squares depending on size
Raspberry jam would also work except it is not used at Passover, due to the small seeds but strawberry is permissible and berries-up this fudgey bar in a wonderful way.