Moist Tofu Cornbread
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh or dried rosemary (optional)
- 8 ounces firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 5 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or oil 9x5-inch loaf pan. In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and rosemary; mix well.
In another bowl; squeeze the tofu through your hands until it is the consistency of scrambled eggs. Stir in the oil and 1 cup water. Add this to the dry ingredients and stir just until moistened ( the batter will be very dry)
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, and bake until a knife comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes. Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then rap the pan sharply to remove the bread, and cool the bread on a rack for at least another 20 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 12 slices
* recipe from Simply Soy