New York Cupcake Shop Chocolate Vanilla Cupcakes
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup semi sweet miniature chocolate chips or coarsely grated imported chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- 3/4 cup cocoa, measured and then sifted
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 13/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mild coffee or coca cola
- Truffle Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 12 ounces semi-sweet imported chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 12 large muffin cups or 18-30 smaller cupcakes molds. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Place all topping ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and the sugar. Add in the eggs, and vanilla and blend well. Fold in the cocoa, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. As you are blending, stir in coffee or cola. Blend until smooth (this is a loose batter).
Pour batter into prepared muffin cups. Chill batter 20 minutes and then top each with a portion of the cream cheese topping. Top each with chocolate chips. Place on a baking sheet and bake until done (22 to 25 minutes).
Cool well in pans 15 minutes before removing.
For the truffle topping, bring the cream and corn syrup to a boil in a medium pot. Remove from heat and stir in chopped chocolate and whisk to melt chocolate. Blend in butter. Refrigerate to thicken glaze and smear on cupcakes once consistency is reached (it should be sludge-like - not dripping but not solid).
Makes 12-30 cupcakes, depending on size.
Black and white cookies in a cupcake theme. These are irresistible. Without the topping, they make a fine chocolate cupcake that is awesome eaten on its own (without icing!).