Chocolate Pudding Pie
- 1 baked 9 inch pastry shell
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup coarsely chopped, semi-sweet chocolate, (4 ounces)
- 1 14 ounce can condensed milk
- 1/2 cup half and half or light cream
- Pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- Garnish: Whipped cream, optional Chocolate Shavings Vanilla Ice cream, optional
Instructions:Pre bake the pie shell 10-15 minutes at 400 F, just until it barely turns golden edged, and cool. (A great trick is to put the pie shell on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place a circle of parchment paper on top of the dough/pie crust and then an empty pie pan on this. This holds down the pie crust so that it bakes but does not buckle up. Remove extra pie pan weight and parchment paper after baking and cool.
For the filling, melt the butter and chocolate together over low heat in a small saucepan or in the microwave. In a medium bowl, whisk the condensed milk and cream with the warm chocolate-butter mixture, stir in the salt, eggs, vanilla, flour and blend well. Spoon filling into prepared pie crust, place on the parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake 35-40 minutes until edges of the pie crust are lightly golden brown and filling seems barely set. Cool and chill an hour or more. (Although you can serve it warm if you like). Offer with whipped cream, crème anglaise, sweetened mascarpone or vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce.
Store in the refrigerator. Serves 6-8