Dark Chocolate Bread Pudding
- White Chocolate Glaze:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Bread Pudding:
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 4-5 cups leftover chocolate cake
- 1 1/2 cups leftover brownies, cut in chunks
- 2 cups coarsely chopped challah
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon, chocolate extract, optional
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 cup half -and-half or whipping cream
- 1/4 cup softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Generously spray a 10 inch cheesecake pan with non-stick cooking spray. Line interior with a parchment paper collar, cut to fit using some softened butter to make it stick. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Prepare cake, brownie and bread and set aside. In a large bowl, whisk all the ingredients until well blended. Gently fold in the cake, brownie, and bread pieces, then the chocolate chips. Let soak 1 hour in the fridge. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
Bake 35-45 minutes until the custard just begins to brown or seems set.
For the White Chocolate Glaze, bring the cream to a gentle boil and then stir in the chocolate chips, turning off the heat, and whisking briskly to melt the chocolate and make a smooth mixture. Set aside. Serve warm or cold. Cut into wedges to serve and offer with warmed White Chocolate glaze and/or warm sundae topping or melted chocolate (white or dark) or warmed dulce de leche. You can also serve it a la mode, with a small scoop of ice-cream beside it. This freezes well or stays 3 days in the fridge - you can also prepare it, refrigerate it and bake it just before you require it). Serves 8-12
This is superb for a party or brunch (in fact, it's great for Hanukkah). It is different and satisfying - not quite chocolate soufflé cake and not a cheesecake but somewhere in-between. Use leftover chocolate cake or leftover bakery sheet cake.