Chocolate Carrot Cake Mandelbrot
- Carrot Cake Biscotti Batter:
- 1 cup corn oil
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange oil or 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup raisins, plumped and dried
- Glaze: 4 ounces white chocolate, melted or semi-sweet chocolate, melted
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a large mixer bowl, blend the oil, sugar and eggs together. Add in the vanilla, orange oil or orange extract and lemon juice. Fold in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and flour. Then fold in the carrots, walnuts and raisins to make a thick batter. Spread out on the baking sheet (10 inches by 4-5 - it does not have to be exact and it might spread).
Bake 40-50 minutes or until set. Reduce oven temperature to 325 F. Let the log cool. Then cut the log into cookies, about 1/2 inch or a bit more, on the diagonal. Bake, on a cookie sheet, turning once, about 15-20 minutes total to dry out and crisp cookies.
Makes 1-2 dozen, depending on size. (For smaller ones, make two smaller logs).
Smear white (or dark) chocolate on one side of each Mandelbrot. Freezes well.
Comments:A nice change from the regular Mandelbrot - this one uses oil of course, for Hanukkah and is smeared with white or dark chocolate as a nice holiday glitz. These are party fare but also great gifts.