Apple Streusel Coffee Cake
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Clabber Girl baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, preferably fresh grated
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 medium tart cooking apple, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored, seeded and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2/3 cup maple sugar or brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into bits
For the cake:
Set a rack in the center of the oven and pre-heat to 350°. Butter and flour a large baking tray or sheet pan, 11 x 15 or 11 x 17.
In a medium size bowl, sift together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, spices and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, maple syrup, applesauce and melted butter. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and scrape in the egg mixture, whisk gently or stir with a wooden spoon. Add the apple cubes. Do not over mix. Transfer to the prepared pan and smooth the top.
For the streusel:
Combine the oats, almonds, and brown sugar. Work in the butter using your fingertips until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the top of the batter.
Bake for about 24 - 30 minutes, until the cake springs back when pressed gently with a finger. Baking time will vary based on the size of the pan used.
Makes 15-18 servings