Passion Fruit Soufflé
- (You will have to prepare one of the two sauce options at the bottom of the recipe before beginning the soufflé recipe)
- Softened butter, for the ramekins
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, separated, plus 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Passion Fruit sauce:
- 1/2 cup unstrained passion fruit pulp (from about 8 -10 fruit) or thawed frozen puree
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Whisk all ingredients together.
- Tropical Passion sauce:
- 1 ripe banana, peeled
- juice of : one orange, one lime
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree till smooth.
Instructions:Prepare sauce - either Passion Fruit Sauce or Tropical Passion Sauce
Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375°F. Butter the insides of six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins with the softened butter. Coat with the sugar, tapping out the excess sugar. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet.
In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks until they are pale and thickened, about 1 minute. (This bowl must be large enough to fold in the whipped egg whites later in the procedure). Whisk in half of the passion fruit or tropical passion sauce. Transfer the remaining sauce to a small serving pitcher about the size of a creamer and set aside at room temperature.
Using an electric mixer at low speed, beat the egg whites in a medium-size bowl until foamy. Increase the mixer speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. One tablespoon at a time, beat in the 1/2 cup of sugar, just until the peaks are stiff and glossy. Using a large rubber spatula, stir one-third of the meringue into the egg yolk mixture to lighten it until almost, but not completely, incorporated. In two equal additions, gently fold in the remaining whites.
Divide the mixture among the ramekins and smooth the tops. Run your forefinger along the inside edge of each ramekin to level the mixture so the soufflés will rise evenly.
Bake until the soufflés are puffed and golden brown, 14 to 18 minutes. Using tongs, quickly but carefully transfer each ramekin to a plate. Serve immediately, allowing each guest to puncture the soufflé and pour in about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the sauce from the pitcher.
Makes 6 soufflés