Passover Coconut Mandarin Brownies
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup unsalted butter or margarine
- 1 1/4 cup sugar (white, brown or both)
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup matzoh cake meal
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Zest of one orange, finely minced
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped Passover macaroons - lightly packed (any brand) or homemade
Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease an 8-by-10 or 7-by-10 inch rectangular baking pan.
Melt chocolate with butter (double boiler or microwave). Cool to room temperature. Stir in sugar, eggs, cake meal, potato starch, salt and orange zest. Fold in chopped macaroons. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes (or until top seems set and is beginning to take on a cracked appearance). Do not over bake. Brownies should seem set and dry to the touch but not yet have formed a dry crust around the sides. Refrigerate an hour or two before cutting and serving.
Makes 12-24, depending on size (large or very tiny squares)