Cream Cheese Filled Carrot Bread Sandwiches
- Carrot Bread:
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice and cloves, each
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated raw carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup raisins, plumped in hot water and dried
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 4 ounces cream cheese, slightly softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups, approximately, confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Instructions:Line a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with greased parchment paper (cut pieces to fit). Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
In a mixer bowl, blend the eggs and add sugar, oil and vanilla. Fold in the flour, soda, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, and salt and blend well. Fold in the carrots, walnuts and raisins. Spoon into prepared pan and bake one hour or until cake springs back when gently touched. Cool 30 minutes at room temperature (unmolded) and then wrap and chill well before using.
For the cream cheese frosting, blend the cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar and lemon juice well to make a thick but spreadable frosting. Add more confectioners' sugar if required to thicken frosting.
Cut slices of cooled carrot bread. Spread on filling and top with another slice of carrot bread. Chill and then cut into 4 triangles. You can also smear a thin layer of cream cheese frosting on the top of the triangle and garnish with some cinnamon.
Makes one loaf, serves 10-12 as a traditional loaf or makes 30-40 smaller carrot bread 'sandwiches"
Comments:This carrot bread is the basis for a unique, wee sweet (versus savoury) mini sandwiches. Slices of moist carrot bread are frosted (with the frosting as a filling between two slices of the bread), and then cut into 4 triangles. Repeat and offer on a serving platter for guests to help themselves.