- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar (may use up to 1/4 cup if additional sweetness is desired)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup strong *Rex Coffee
- 5 tablespoons melted shortening
- 2 ounces (2 squares) melted semi-sweet chocolate
Begin to preheat waffle maker according to manufacturer's directions.
In a large bowl, combine flour, Clabber Girl Baking Powder, sugar and salt. Sift once to incorporate all ingredients. In a medium bowl whisk egg yolks, milk, melted shortening and melted chocolate; add to dry ingredients, beating until combined. In a small bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter mixture.
Spoon or pour some batter into each section of the preheated waffle iron. Cook until crispy. Serve with fruit syrup and a dollop of vanilla yogurt or whipped topping.
*Rex Coffee is freshly roasted and available at the online store
Yield: serves 6