- 2 pounds beef shanks with the bone
- 3/4 cup dried kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes, with the juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, scrubbed and sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3/4 cup broken spaghetti
- freshly grated parmesan cheese as an accompaniment
- In a large soup pot combine the beef, beans, salt, bay leaf and water, and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Discard the bones and fat from the meat and break it into pieces. Stir in the onion, carrots, tomatoes, thyme, tarragon, and pepper and simmer the soup, covered for 30 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, peas and spaghetti and simmer, partially covered for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper and add additional water if soup is too thick.
- Serve with the parmesan.
Makes about 12 cups
From Leslie Glover Pendleton