Tasty Lemon Rice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups long grain rice, such as Carolina or Mahatma
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cups water
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped chives or scallion greens
In a large heavy saucepan, heat the oil over moderately high heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring for 2 minutes, or until the rice begins to turn white. Add the bay leaves, water, oregano, zest and salt and bring to a boil. Boil the rice uncovered, without stirring, until the liquid has disappeared and holes appear on the surface of the rice. Cover the saucepan and immediately reduce the heat to warm.
Let the rice steam for 20 minutes and transfer to a bowl. Add the lemon juice, chives, and pepper to taste, and toss to combine.
Serves 6 to 8
From Leslie Glover Pendleton