Sweet Heart Sugar Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- for decorating: 1 egg white, pink and/or red sugar
- Cream together the shortening, sugar and salt until fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla until smooth. Add the flour and clabber Girl Baking Powder; stir until a dough is formed.
- Between 2 sheets of wax paper, roll the dough our 1/4 inch thick. With a heart-shaped cutter, cut shapes in the dough, but do not remove them. Chill the dough on a large cookie sheet for 30 minutes or until firm. Carefully peel the hearts from the wax paper and arrange 2-inches apart on Doughmakers all-aluminum cookie sheets. Gather the scraps of dough and roll and cut out more hearts.
Brush the hearts with the egg white and sprinkle with colored sugar. Bake the cookies for 10 to 12 minutes or until pale golden. Transfer to racks to cool.
Makes about 20 three inch cookies.