Southwestern Bean Soup
- 3 cups water
- 1 15 1/2-ounce can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, pinto beans, or great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 10-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 4-ounce can diced green chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons instant beef or chicken bouillon granules or 6 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 to 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- Dash salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 beaten egg white
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
In a large saucepan or Dutch oven combine water, canned beans, undrained tomatoes, corn, carrots, onion, undrained chili peppers, bouillon granules, chili powder, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
For dumplings, in a medium mixing bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, Clabber Girl Baking Powder, salt, and pepper. In a small bowl, combine egg white, milk, and oil. Add to flour mixture; stir with a fork just till combined.
Return soup to bubbling. Drop dumpling mixture from a rounded teaspoon to make 8 mounds atop the bubbling soup. Cover and simmer over low heat for 12 to 15 minutes (do not lift cover till time to check for doneness) or till a toothpick inserted into dumplings comes out clean. Makes 4 servings.