Hungarian Scalloped Potatoes
- 8-l0 red skinned potatoes, boiled and cooled
- 1 cup sour cream or yogurt
- 4 scallions, minced fine
- 4-6 hard boiled eggs, crumbled or sliced, optional
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- paprika, salt, pepper, to taste - but generous with pepper and paprika
- 1/2 cup fresh grated, parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- Paprika, bread crumbs, additional parmesan for dusting
Prepare potatoes, drain, cool and slice.
In a large casserole, layer sliced potatoes. Over each single layer sprinkle generously with salt, pepper, paprika. Toss on some of the dollops of sour cream, melted butter, hard cooked eggs, parmesan cheese and scallions.
On final layer, sprinkle cheddar cheese and paprika and pour milk through gaps in dish (milk is to keep dish moist).
Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes before serving. Freezes well or make a day ahead and bake as required.
Recipe by: Marcy Goldman - Marcy's Kosher Cuisine
I got this recipe years ago from a cousin who is a vet and made this to please her Hungarian born husband when they were first married. It is simply outstanding.