English Plum Pudding
- 1/2 pound suet, chopped finely (still available in the meat sections of some supermarkets, or ask your butcher)
- 1/2 pound currants
- 1/2 pound raisins
- 1/2 pound sugar
- 1/2 pound stale bread crumbs
- 1/2 pound all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves, nutmeg and ginger
- grated rind of 2 lemons
- 1/2 pound citron or orange peel, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup brandy
In a bowl mix suet, currants, raisins, lemon rind, citron or orange peel. Add sugar, spices, flour and bread crumbs; stir in well beaten eggs and brandy.
Place pudding in large covered baking dish, place into a pan of water and put in oven at 300 °F. Bake for 8 hours, replacing water as necessary.