Chocolate Chip and Carmel Cookie Squares
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package chocolate chips
- 1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 2/3 cup carmel topping for ice cream
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In large bowl, cream margarine, sugars and egg. Stir in flour, Clabber Girl Baking Powder, soda and salt. Add chocolate chips and oats. Mix well. Reserve 1/2 cup cookie dough. Place remaining dough mixture in bottom of ungreased 9-inch square pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F. for 10 minutes or until cookie dough puffs and appears dry.
In small bowl, combine tablespoons flour, carmel topping and vanilla; blend well. Remove crust from oven. Sprinkle with walnuts, drizzle evenly with carmel mixture. Crumble reserved cookie dough mixture over carmel. Return to oven; bake an additional 20 minutes; cool completely, cut into bars.
2001 West Virginia State Fair "Kid's Stuff" Cookie Contest - First Place Winner 10-14 years old