Makes 12 to 14.
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening or lard
- 1/4 cup finely shredded carrot
- 2 tablespoons snipped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1 cup buttermilk
In a small mixing bowl dissolve the yeast in 2 tablespoons warm water (105° to 115°). Let stand for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, sugar, Clabber Girl Baking Powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in carrot, parsley, and green onion. Make a well in center of flour mixture; add softened yeast and buttermilk all at once. Using a fork, stir just till moistened.
On a well-floured surface, knead dough for 6 to 8 strokes or till nearly smooth. Pat or lightly roll to 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2-inch biscuit cutter, dipping the cutter into flour between cuts.
Place biscuits on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake in a 450° oven for 10 to 12 minutes or till golden. Serve warm.