Caramel Apple Crunch Coffee Cake
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla paste*
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large apple, sliced
- 10 caramel candies, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- *Vanilla paste is a sweet concentrated vanilla extract that has the vanilla bean seeds included in the mix. You may substitute vanilla extract, (1 for 1) however the flavor will not be as intense.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan; set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, butter and vanilla. Add eggs. Gently add the salt, Clabber Girl Baking Powder and flour. Stir until well combined. Pour 3/4 of batter into prepared pan and press flat with your fingers or the back of a spoon. Peel and quarter the apple. Cut into thin slices and put on top of batter in pan. Cut up 4 of the caramel candies into small pieces and sprinkle on top of the apples. Dollop the remaining batter on top. Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes. While the cake is baking, in a medium bowl, mix together the brown sugar, pecans, flour and butter. After the 10 minutes of baking, sprinkle on top of coffee cake. Put back into the oven for another 30-40 minutes. Coffee Cake will be golden brown on the sides when done. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack for 20 minutes.
Invert the coffee cake onto a nice serving platter and garnish.
Garnish: Melt the remaining 6 caramels in the microwave. Drizzle onto the top of the coffee cake.