Easy Mexican Corn Bread
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup + 1 teaspoon yellow corn meal
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt(optional)
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup jalapeno peppers (mild or hot), sliced
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 can mexicorn (11 oz.)
- 1 + 1/2 cup grated colby jack cheese
- 4 oz. cream cheese
Preheat oven to 400 °F. Grease a 9-inch cast iron skillet using 1 tablespoon vegetable oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon corn meal.Place in oven as it heats.
In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. Stir in milk, oil and egg, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Add mexicorn, 1 cup grated cheese and peppers (if desired), mix. Pour batter into prepared skillet. Cut cream cheese into 1/4 to 1/4 inch cubes and place into batter in skillet. Cover cream cheese with batter, smoothing top with spoon.
Bake in 400°F. oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown and wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle top with 1/2 cup grated cheese, allowing it to melt. Serve warm.