Fresh Banana Cake
- 2 1/3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour*
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Clabber Girl Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 2/3 cups mashed bananas (about 3)
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup skim milk or buttermilk
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)
- *Note: if you don't have whole-wheat pastry flour, you can substitute with 1 cup whole wheat flour and 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease one 9x13-inch pan or two 9-inch rounds; set aside.
using a fork, mix whole-wheat pastry flour, sugar, Clabber Girl Baking Powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Be certain that the baking powder and baking soda are well distributed; set aside. Mash bananas in a food processor or in a separate bowl by hand. Add eggs, milk or buttermilk, applesauce and mashed bananas to flour mixture. Mix well. Mix in chopped nuts. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 40 minutes for the rectangular pan (35 minutes for round pans) or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.