Black Bean Soup with Sausage and Greens
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 precooked sausages, spicy or mild, cut into bite size chunks
- 8 oz. greens such as chard, rough chopped, stems removed
- 1 1/4 to 2 cups chicken stock*
- 1 15 oz. can refried black beans
- salt and pepper, to taste
- sour cream, to taste
- salsa, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a 2 quart pot and add the sausage. Saute for about 3 or 4 minutes and add the stock and greens. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat. Simmer for about 8 minutes. Whisk in the black beans and heat through for about 4 or 5 minutes. Adjust the stock, add salt and pepper to taste, and serve. Garnish with a dollop of sour cream and salsa, if desired.
* I prefer a thicker soup, so I use less stock. Its up to you-you can always add more stock to thin the soup.
Recipe by Mani Niall - Mix it up with Mani
I am always looking for new ways to use the precooked sausages proliferating in the market these days. Black bean soup is one of my favorites, but I never find the time to prepare the beans. This recipe makes just enough for a family with maybe a little leftover. I use an Andouille spiced chicken and turkey sausage - feel free to use whatever you like. You can always increase the heat level by adding salsa as a garnish.