1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line four 12- cup standard cupcake pans with cupcake liners. Place pans on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
2. In a food processor, process the berries until they are a puree. You should have 2 cups. Set aside.
3. In the mixer bowl, with paddle attachment, on medium speed, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in the eggs, the whites, extracts, milk and blend until combined. Fold in the strawberry puree.
Blend dry ingredients in a large bowl and then fold in and blend with paddle to make a soft batter, about 2-4 minutes.
4. Using an ice-cream scoop or disher, scoop batter into cupcake pans. Bake until cupcakes spring back when lightly touched, about 22-24 minutes. Cool to room temperature before frosting.
Method Strawberry Buttercream
1. For the Strawberry Buttercream, prepare the strawberries as for the batter – puree until smooth.
2. In a food processor, cream the butter with the salt, vanilla, strawberry extract and one cup of the confectioners’ sugar. Fold in the strawberry puree and add confectioners’ sugar as required to make a soft, fluffy frosting.
3. Using a star tip or palette knife, pipe or smooth on frosting onto each cupcake. (Extra frosting can be frozen – it depends how thick you frost the cupcakes if you will have leftover frosting or not and always rewhip frosting before applying to fresh cupcakes)
Makes approximately 48 standard cupcakes